I’m proud to present the very first guest post by my little sister. She called just yesterday with a delcious recipe for spicy corn soup with chicken or crab. She found a version of this recipe in Southern Living magazine and tweaked it based on the ingredients she had on hand (and to suit her very picky palate). It’s not a veggie friendly recipe, but I’ve noted substitutes below that may work for you. If you are a veggie who still eats seafood, this will be a breeze for you.
1/3 cup of diced salt pork (try smoked oysters instead or a veggie substitute)
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c yellow corn meal
1/2 large onion finely chopped
1/2 jar of roasted red peppers
2 chopped serrano peppers (remove the seeds for less heat)
3 c of fresh sweet corn kernels (about 6 ears) (note*you could substitute frozen corn here)
5 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 corncobs (save after removing the kernels)
1 lb cooked diced cooked chicken or fresh lump crab meat drained
1 cup whipping cream
small handful of coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1. remove corn from corncobs into a bowl and set to the side
2. cook salt pork in a large “soup” pot on med high heat stirring often for 10 min or until browned.
3. add butter and whisk in cornmeal. whisk constantly for one minute.
4. add onion, serrano, corn, and red peppers. saute for 2 min.
5. add broth and the two corncobs. (corncobs simmered in chicken broth add a nice depth of flavor)
bring to a boil. reduce heat, and let simmer for 30 minutes uncovered, so it can cook down.
6. remove and discard corncobs. stir in meat, cream, cilantro, salt and white pepper. add more or less cilantro if desired.
cook until its heated through. and serve.
makes about 10 1/2 cups. or about 6 servings.
prep time: 30min cook time 50 min
Thanks for the recipe lil sis! xoxo
Other posts you may enjoy: